November 30, 2023

Pain in the rear

The day started normally enough. The wife’s alarm went off. She hit snooze and turned over. I got out of bed. I went to the bathroom, checked my blood sugars and pulled on yesterday’s shirt and jeans. I grabbed my socks and pulled the bedroom door closed.

I walked to the stairs, intent on sitting on the top step to pull on my socks. 

I misjudged something, my feet slipped off the edge of the top stair and I slinkied down about half the top flight. I mostly bounced on my coccyx. My wrist is sore, but my backside and lower back are slightly uncomfortable. 

The last time this happened I broke a rib. I think I’m good this time, but it is a lousy way to start the day. 




6 comments:

Cappy said...

Ouch

Greybeard said...

I'm glad you're not seriously hurt. Your incident reminds me of my fall in Santorini, Greece, when trying to break my fall I put my right foot down with such force I compound fractured my ankle.
Our balance and leg strength ain't what they used to be. That's hard (and uncomfortable) to remember!

glasslass said...

Please don't ever, ever break your coccyx. Had first child at 21, fairly easy till doc "this may hurt", big ouch next then the baby. Six weeks later I sitting in his office and asking why I can't sit straight down anymore. Oh, I had to break your coccyx. It may affect the way you sit for a while. Well that child is 61 and it still affects me. Been told it's the worst bone to break in your body.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

The last time I did this, it was when I was on the way to the doc to find out what I'd done to myself when I threw out my back, and I slipped on the top step and ended up at the switchback landing halfway down. That was...20 years ago? Thankfully I managed not to do much more than injure my pride, though I had a hell of a time getting back up thanks to my back problem, and my wife was not amused.

I was kind of annoyed that it didn't fix whatever was wrong with my back. And when I got done with my physical therapy three months later, I ripped out the nasty carpet on those stairs, refinished the treads and risers, and put on rubber treads. Carpet does not belong on stairs. I have spoken.

Ed Bonderenka said...

Wow. My condolences.

Jean said...

I know the tailbone pain.
Slipped on ice a couple winters ago. Took weeks to heal completely.
Get one of those special pillows with the cut-out at the back. It helps when sitting.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger