December 9, 2023

In the new old fashioned way

 Happy Saturday! A light rain is gently falling outside, holiday music is softly playing on my smart speaker. My butt still hurts. Getting old is tough. At least I can mostly remember where I am and why I am in that room.  That's something the Most Popular President Ever seems to struggle with. Let's elect him again!

I had coffee on my vacation day with an old work colleague I haven't seen for a couple of decades. It was great to catch up. What is interesting is to compare career paths.  He started as an accountant but ended up where I thought my career would take me. 

I might have mentioned before I had no intention of going into sales. I believed my lot was in manufacturing; management trainee, customer service manager, production scheduler, production supervisor, master scheduler, materials manager, production manager, plant manager. I made it through the master scheduler role when corporate asked me to go into sales. I said "no". They said, "we will double your pay". I said "Yes". 

My friend started in accounting, did the production supervisor thing, moved to a different company and ultimately rose to plant manager and then in charge of all the plants in the Americas. He is now semi-retired. Good for him. I always say things work out like they are supposed to. I wouldn't change things. I love my job. Mostly. Okay, I like my job. Well, I don't hate my job. 

Anyway, the most interesting part of the conversation is my friend hooked me up with a contact I might find interesting. This guy is a salesman who has also written books. More to the point, we both sell the same widgets, but for different companies. How strange is that?

I need more coffee. Enjoy your Saturday. 

What? Sure, I will post some Christmas music.


The original lyrics were "for next year we may all be dead." Judy Garland refused to sing it, so they changed the words. 

1 comment:

slugmama said...

It's been said that it take a special kind of person to be successful in sales. I guess I'm not special. ;-)

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger