December 14, 2023

Mystery kind of solved, and Velma and Shaggy had nothing to do with it.

Quite a while ago I was describing how I often find myself searching historical rabbit holes

I’ll wait why check the link. 

Really, I don’t mind. 

Look, the rest of this post makes no sense if you fail to get the backstory.

The subject of Reeses Mill has bugged me for a couple of years now.  I finally contacted the Boone County, IN historical Society, which forwarded my message to the Boone County Library. Seems that Reeses Mill is another name for The 'Burg, as my grandmother called it -- Mechanicsburg, IN. Located along Sugar Creek near the Clinton County line, my grandmother grew up on a farm outside of Mechanicsburg. 

There, our curiosity is assuaged. We can all sleep easy tonight. And don't even pretend you don't care.

Now I need someone to explain how my great-whatever grandfather was born in Ohio, migrated at some point to Cleopatra, Missouri, fought in the Civil War, and ended up back in Nowhere Indiana -- The 'Burg.

That question will probably never be answered, and I did not know enough to ask my grandmother when she was alive. 

Ah, the arrogance of youth.

4 comments:

slugmama said...

Joe,
If you want, since I have an Ancestry account, I can poke around and see if your ancestors left any records that might give you some answers about their migration, etc. I am only an amateur genealogist but I've been doing this for almost 15 years and I've helped a few folks find information from their families pasts.
You can email me(slugmama@yahoo.com)with your grandparents names and birth/death dates and I can take it from there. 8-)

Anonymous said...

I sent an email

Joe

Linda said...

The things I did not ask when my parents were alive will plague me forever.

Cappy said...

Boone County, home of Boone's Farm.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger