January 2, 2024

Stuff that interests only me.

I often tell my wife interesting facts and trivia. She almost always gives that blank look indicating she would roll her eyes, or worse, tell me “I don’t care,” if she didn’t love me too much to be rude. It is quite possible you roll your eyes or say “I don’t care” when I offer up fascinating tidbits. 

These days when you think about the greatest MLB hitters ever, Pete Rose, Babe Ruth, and Ty Cobb come to mind. Some of you will think of Hank Aaron or Barry Bonds. Of course Mickey Mantle and DiMaggio always make the list. 

You know who you forget? Stan Musial. Yes, I know he was a Cardinal, but he couldn’t help where he ended up. Musial ranks fourth in all-time hits. Did you know that? He only trails Rose, Cobb, and Hammerin’ Hank. When Stan the Man retired, he was second, only behind Cobb. 

Okay, you say. Here is a fact you might not know. In his last at-bat Musial drove a single past a lunging second baseman into right field. 



That is Harry Carey on the call. The second baseman? None other than rookie Pete Rose, the man who would later take the National League hits all time leader title (and MLB). What a strange bookend. 

Did you know that Stan Musial, Ken Griffey, and Ken Griffey Jr. all came from the same little Pennsylvania mill town? 

Yeah, you don’t care.

7 comments:

Jean said...

Very cool tidbits.

You and I are both gettin' itchy for the season to start.

Linda said...

I care, and if you tell me enough times, I might remember and care more.

Tommy and I tell each other facts. He is definitely bored. I endure.

Ralphd00d said...

Sounds like my Wife, though, my trivial facts aren't necessarily sport related.

B said...

And Musial was a great sportsman and person.

Plus this:

https://musialawards.com/

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Actually I do care, even if it was the Cards and the Reds. ;) But I want the old-time baseball from when I was a kid (pre-1969) to come back. I know it won't. And I'll probably never really care about it again with all the recent poor choices MLB has made to "change" things.

C'est la vie.

Cappy said...

Delight the better half by reminding her that Epstein Didn't Kill Himself.

Scott said...

I'm sure Mrs. Hoosierboy shares all these interesting factoids with her girlfriends.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger