August 21, 2007

Cell Phone Self Portrait


Here is a picture I took of myself while sitting bored at the mall a few weeks ago while we were doing back-to-school shopping.

It is funny, we all have an image of ourselves. We view in our idols and heroes traits we have or would like to have. Many manly men identify with John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. When I was younger I idolized Errol Flynn. His dashing good looks coupled with a daring audacity appealed to me. As I read his autobiography I came to know he lived the adventurous life he played in the movies.

I am not Errol Flynn by any means. I am short and overweight. I do not carouse, womanize and party like the legendary swashbuckler. "In like Flynn" was just not a term, it described his legendary prowess with the ladies. I can only laugh when I compare my own life.

These days I am not sure whom I idolize. I wish I was more like my own Dad. He has worked hard, enjoys life, and was an exceptional father. I guess it is sad that at some point I gave up the fantasies of sailing the high seas rescuing maidens or walking the proud side of the law with the Duke. I am not Dirty Harry or Big Jake or Don Juan or Robin Hood. I am just a guy trying to make a living, raise his kids and find some humor in life. I can live with that. After all I really would not look good sporting a pencil-thin mustache.

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger