June 16, 2005

There is a time for words and a time for action

It was late, we had been down to the bar drinking $3.00 pitchers. As was the custom, we stayed until everyone had bought at least one pitcher. The slow drinkers got cheated. So did those with small bladders. The guzzellers and those willing to take the pain of a full bladder in order to get just one more mug got to drink more. That was me. I was always out to get my fair share.

It was cold outside, We were wearing winter coats. If memory serves me, there were four of us, I was the smallest. At that time I topped out just short of 5'10" and I weighed about 180. Little of it was fat. I roofed in the summers and the hard work, coupled with lots of weight training made me fairly strong. The largest guy was about 6'4", he was a lineman on the college football team. "Baby Huey" was big enough, aggressive enough, strong enough to be a starter as a freshman. He was only 19, the rest of us were at least 21. We stood along the street trying to decide if we should go back to the Fraternity House or go to the diner and get some food. We were minding our own business.

A car went by, clearly occupied by the locals, or as we sometimes called them, Townies. Cries of "Hey Faggots" and "Fuck you's" came from the car as it cruised past. It was after three in the morning. The car came along again a few minutes later as we were walking towards the diner. We were subjected to more catcalls and insults. The car suddenly swerved to the curb and we watched astonished as five guys jumped from the car. "Come on motherfuckers" and "lets go" they shouted, ready for a fight.

"What the fuck?", said my buddy as he wanted to know what was the problem. There were claims of us giving the finger, lots of cussing, name calling and posturing. The biggest, about my size had removed his coat and was shivering in the cold. I moved closer to him, sick of the whole thing. I asked him "We gonna fight or we gonna talk?". At the end of that question the football star, Baby Huey, said "Hell yeah" and punched one of the townies right in the face. I took a quick left jab at the shivering asshole, followed by a roundhouse right that caught him right on the ear, splitting it open and showering him with blood. Both guys fell to the ground, while the other three ran for the car. The other two guys with me stood there in shock.

Huey and I laughed and laughed as the last of the townies chased their car down the street. We hightailed it back home before the cops could arrive. Shit, Huey was underage! By the time we got back safe the whole event was hilarious to all concerned.

That was me, impetuous, angry and more given to action than talk in those days. Well, given to a lot of talk, but little patience. I guess some things never change.

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger