August 24, 2009

Maybe I am Forrest Gump

I am a strong advocate of learning. I try to learn something new every day. I need some help from you, dear Reader. I have wracked my brain to find one single instance where reducing competition results in lower prices or better service. I can find hundreds of the opposite -- cable TV, utility companies, etc., but none comes to mind where the public is better off. In fact, isn't TR's face carved on a granite mountain out West for busting up the monopolies? I am pretty sure everyone's costs went down when Ma Bell was busted into the Baby Bells. Anyway, help me out here, please give some examples.

Why you are at it can you explain just why we need the government to add "competition" to the health insurance industry? It seems I see advertisements for these companies, and ask any HR person how many calls they get a week from insurance companies seeking their business. There must be multiple businesses out there offering health insurance. If any one or two had the market secured why would they spend money and effort to attract business they already have?

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger