January 15, 2010

Ethics

Let's say you are working along and find your belly rumbling. You step into the kitchen breakroom and decide a couple of pieces of toast would hold you over until lunch. You eat your buttered toast and as you go to throw away the trash realize you grabbed two paper plates. Do you just throw them both away, or do you take the bottom one, which was technically not 'used' and put it back?

Do you drink out of the milk carton when no one is looking? Do you get a clean spoon after tasting the food you are cooking? Have you ever dropped a hot dog on the ground and then threw it back on the grill? Do you double dip?

Do you give up your vote in promise of future (or current) financial rewards? Is it OK if you will get a plush lobbying job or an ambassadorship? Is it OK to vote against the will of the people who elected you if you do the bidding of the important contributor? Is it OK to sell out the freedom of the people if it means it will keep your political party in control for generations to come?

Is it OK to lie as long as it gets you elected? Is it OK to break campaign promises if it gets your agenda passed? Is it acceptable to look the other way when there are clear ethical violations, as long as your party is doing them and they lead to passage legislation you desire?

Do you have an ethical line you will not cross?

For me it all starts with throwing away an extra paper plate.

5 comments:

Dax Montana said...

I call Bullshit! You know you throw out that paper plate. You know you don't always use a clean spoon when you taste cooking. You also put the fallen dog back on the grill too.

However, selling out your elected office is a little different.

Just Damn!

Ed Bonderenka said...

Man, I thought I was the only one who thought like this, HB.
And double dipping is punishable by strangulation.

Commodore Jones said...

30 second rule (unless it falls into a toilet or dog crap).
'nuff said.

Cappy said...

Try White Castle. Still cheaper than food.

KeesKennis said...

Old News.
It all depends:
: If I'm alone I do all the sins.
: If it is me and my mate I share all the stuff I share with her elsewhere in my life.
: I never lie.

Maybe.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger