May 4, 2010

Memories

My dad had this big black leather chair and foot stool. Maybe it was pleather. He has not had it for probably 25 or 30 years, but when I think of my Dad's chair, that is the one that comes to mind.

It was more than four decades ago and I woke with a bad dream, or had to go pee, or just could not sleep. It seemed like the middle of the night, but I am sure it was not that late. Dad let me climb up into his chair with him, if I would be quiet and watch the movie. He was eating potato chips and he let me have some.

Dad was watching PT 109. I remember with vivid detail the Japanese destroyer cutting the 109 in half. I remember the men swimming and swimming. I remember falling asleep snuggled with my Dad.

I am not sure how old I was, but pretty small. IMDB tells me PT 109 came out in theaters in 1963. It had to be 1965 or so before it came to TV. I would guess I was three or four at the most. This episode remains one of my fondest memories.

I watched PT 109 Sunday. I talked to my Dad. He is doing fine.

6 comments:

Freddie said...

This post made me smile.

Dads are just as important as moms, IMHO.

Jean said...

What a terrific memory. Did you ask your dad if he remembers it, too?

Scott said...

Good memory, HB. I remember in 1963 when a new show called "The Fugitive", starring David Janssen came on. My Mom and I loved the show, and would look forward to it every week. It was different from any other show on TV at that time. Mom is long gone now, but the show recently has come out on DVD, and I have relived those memories fondly.

Punko

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the smile.

Dick

Ed Bonderenka said...

Man, that was neat to read.

commoncents said...

Thank You for posting this! I love your blog!!

Common Cents
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

ps. Link Exchange?

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger