January 26, 2012

Because we're here, lad. Nobody else. Just us.

Alphonse-Marie-Adolphe de Neuville (1835–1885)
I am not sure how it escaped me.  I guess I am getting forgetful in my old age.  I seriously thought the anniversary was January 29th. But last Sunday, January 22, marked the 133rd anniversary of the Defense of Rorke's Drift and the Battle of Isandlwana. Eleven Victoria Crosses for heroism were given out in the former, and the latter marks one of the worst defeats in British Military history.

At Rorke's Drift less than 150 British soldiers defended a small mission station and hospital against an estimated 4,000 Zulu warriors through the evening and night. You can read a rather good description of the battle here

If you want to read what I consider one of the finest books on the Zulu Wars, I recommend The Washing of the Spears by Donald Morris. I have read my copy at least twice, parts of it multiple times.

Of course action movie lovers will know the movies Zulu Dawn, and Zulu. While both take some liberties with historical accuracy, they are great fun. I give them each a huge thumbs up.  In fact, I plan to watch both before the week is over. What?  You have not seen Zulu?  Here is a teaser:



Yeah, the whole movie is like that. Catch it on Netflix, or at your favorite video store or streaming service.  Trust me, you will glad you did.

1 comment:

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Never try to beat a well-supplied, well-armed garrison with spears -- especially if they haven't got anywhere else to go.

Thus endeth the lesson.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger