March 29, 2020

Stay apart, unless it is inconvenient

Lots of rain, wind storms, thunder, and general nasty spring weather rolled through yesterday and into the night. Lightning flashed and thunder boomed.

The neighbors across the street had a party. Seriously. It started innocently enough. Their oldest boy turned 21 yesterday. A normally great day was marred by the closures of bars everywhere. The poor Schlub faced having his “first” beer with mom and dad. I myself tossed him a can of Yeungling in the afternoon.

In a touching tribute, many of the birthday boy’s friends and family showed up around eight o’clock. They parked in the cul-de-sac and left presents, six packs, and bottles on the drive. They stood near their cars and when he came out, toasted him and serenaded the newly-crowned adult with the traditional song. So far, so good. Then the dozens of people began to mill and gather to talk. Soon isolated groups became clusters. The next time I glanced out the window, the fire pit was burning brightly and a crowd of 15 or 20 had gathered. As the rains came they crowded together in the garage. They were still at it when I mossed up to bed around midnight.

Social distancing indeed.

In other news, The boy was about the same when I talked to him last night. His breathing was eased a little but his cough was worse. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind words and especially for your prayers. I know I am not worthy.

Finally, time for our regular Sunday feature. The main reason I am sure you visited today. Instead of a scenery picture I am going to present an actual screen shot from my trusty iPad yesterday.

Is that the saddest thing ever?

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Never say you are not worthy. You seem like a great ma and you adore your family.

Practical Parsimony said...

You definitely WORTHY. Never forget that. I hope your son is on the mend. How old is he? Tell us more about him. please.

Barb said...

Is he sitting in the bathroom with the hot water on and the door closed until it runs out? More important here than in other places by far. we are number 4 in the country and it isn't pretty. We are now a disaster area as well. It's an unpopular opinion but as the parent of a restaurant manager I firmly believe everything should have been shut down two full weeks and things might have bern shorter. Never ever in the time of man has there been social.distancing between employees in the front or back of a kitchen or bar. There may not be seated customers but my guy is working a ten by ten kitchen with two other people.

Joe said...

Yes, he is doing the hot water thing.

Most people think restaurant kitchens are big airy rooms like on TV sets.

Both my boys work in the restaurant business (one in front the other the back Not the same restaurant). Many commercial kitchens are about the size of a kitchen in a nice home.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger