November 29, 2021

Nobody Ever Loved Me Like She Does

I watched the three part Beatles documentary Get Back on HBO this weekend. It was most interesting.  Chronicling the final weeks of the band, we see the various personalities on display. 

Several things struck me. Even though I have read several biographies of the band and members, the video and audio recordings show a somewhat different interpretation. For instance, I always thought John was a pompous ass. In truth, Paul was far worse. McCartney tries to force everyone into his vision, other opinions be damned. 

John was actually pretty funny. I’d never guessed it was him on the guitar solo on Get Back.

It was interesting that bandmates often referred to Ringo as “Rich” or “Richie”. 

I was absolutely riveted by the songwriting process. I often talk with my son about this. Is it music or lyrics? Both he says. As a man without the creative gene, I love seeing how art comes to life. 

Common history has led us to believe they all hated Yoko. Instead she sits silently by John’s side most of the time. Yoko talks with Linda. Ringo shares his gum. There is no overt hostility at all. She certainly never interjects herself into any band business discussion. 

What we see are a group of unbelievably talented musicians who don’t like each other much anymore, until they get to the music. Then, you can see the joy and fun they had playing music. Together. 

One thing is for sure, few people in history have had to deal with the weight of fame endured by the Fab Four. It is a wonder any of them adjusted to life after The Beatles.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Glad of your review. I plan on watching it soon.

Greybeard said...

"Fish, and company both STINK after three days".
I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to be stuck in close quarters with a group of others for YEARS.
Thanks for the review. Motivates me to dig it up.

Practical Parsimony said...

Ringo's name is Richard Starkey.

Joe said...

Yes. I know that. I just thought it interesting that they called him by his name, not his nickname

Cappy said...

My liberal sister's boyfriend is the only Yoko Ono fan I have ever met.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7dsPmSMmzw

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger