December 9, 2021

It is like you were in the truck with me

My visits in southern Indiana finished earlier than expected yesterday, so I decided to take the long way home.  I headed east from Evansville right past a customer in Booneville I visited on my way south Monday, and then on into rural, hilly Hoosierdom. 

Anyone who has read here for any amount of time knows I dig historical sites. Lincoln’s boyhood home was my destination (I said an audible hola to reader Hey Teacher as I cruised the general area). The country was heavily wooded and the National Site was pretty much empty on this chilly December morning. 

I have to admit, I’ve grown skeptical in my old age. Maybe this was the site of the Lincoln cabin. I will not dispute it. Maybe that is the burial site of his mother. It is acknowledged her grave was unmarked until long after Old Abe met his fate in Ford’s Theater. In any case, you get a sense of how small pioneer cabins were in the old Northwest Territory of the early 1800s.the Lincoln cabin was maybe 12x12.

Mostly, I will state that of all the many historical sites, battlefields, homes, and parks I have visited in my life, I would rank this one pretty much last. Maybe if you are staying in Santa Claus and hanging out after a day or two at Holiday World amusement park you could drive over and force the kids to absorb a little history. Not if you have to drive more than twenty minutes out of your way, though. 

Bronzed mudsill and fireplace of Lincoln cabin

Abe’s Mother’s grave 100 yards or so from the cabin


3 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

12'x12' is incredibly small. But, I suppose they did not have all the necessary stuff that I own.

Cappy said...

Drive past the Jimmy Garfield place of birth from time to time, it's in a now very prosperous Cleveland suburb. They have a restoration, looks like the size of a tool shed.

hey teacher... said...

What? You were in my backyard and didn’t call! Next time let me know, (smoke signals work best), and I take you to New Harmony for a cook’s tour. Sorry this is a late reply, catching up on unread stuff.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger