June 5, 2022

Channeling the Stoic within

I’m set to motor off to the motor city in my motor car today for a week of trade show torture fun. Don’t tell my boss, but it is my firm belief no one ever gained new business from a trade show. Mostly you show off for the other attendees. People come to the show for the free stuff. Look for the busiest booth, invariably they are giving away the best merchandise. Besides, there is some sort of tear in the space-time continuum in a convention center where time only moves at half normal speed. What normally would be an hour is only less than thirty minutes. And this trade show is about automation, so my company has a vested interest, but it is only tangentially related to my customer base. Yes, I’m excited. Why do you ask? 

To top it off, my right foot feels like someone stabbed it in the arch with a hot poker this morning; the usual reaction after I mow the yard on the previous day. Normally, this would pass by resting. Instead I get to go stand on hard concrete for a week in dress shoes. Despite my crybaby antics, I will be fine. 


All this angst and complaining may be in vain. The wife woke yesterday feeling poorly. Heaviness in her chest, cough, and fever are making her feel miserable. All are signs of the dreaded Covid. She slept most of the day yesterday. She took an at-home test that was negative, but she will go for a more semi-accurate test at the clinic today. 

So the end result is all of my complaints may be for naught. If the wife is infected, I can’t go off spreading her germs like a modern Typhoid Mary throughout greater Southeast Michigan. I know, you might be sitting in your chair, but you are only perched on the edge of it as you await the outcome of this riveting story. 


4 comments:

glasslass said...

Hope your wife gets better and it's just a summer cold. My son has problem with his feet that started when he was 8/9 years old. Grew too fast and his heels were a mass of fractures. But he grew to 6'3" and 200 and has very flat feet + gout. So being the die hard golfer, 5x per week, his doc said try some inserts. He got Dr.Sholl's custom fit and the heavy duty ones. Made a big difference and has them in all his golf shoes. Said he wears the heavy duty when he's only going to play 9 holes. Dr said next step is custom made inserts if inserts don't work well. Good luck, smile sweetly and give out lots of doodads and take a gel mat with you to stand on this week. I have a couple in the kitchen and they work.

Ed Bonderenka said...

An automation show in the Motor City and I only read about it here.
Some marketing.

Joe said...

She doesn’t have covid

Joe said...

Ed, come on down to Cobo or Huntington Center ( I think that is what they call it these days) booth 4513

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger