July 28, 2022

I never planned anything in my life

Over the weekend I watched the documentary The Last Movie Stars about Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. The format was rather strange but the show was fascinating. Newman viewed his career as lucky rather than talent. He lacked confidence in his abilities. Paul always believed his wife as a far better actor. For Paul to think he wasn’t great, to that I say Cool Hand Luke, Hud, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Butch Cassidy, Slapstick, and Fast Eddie. Were there some stinkers? Sure. The body of work speaks for itself. 

It is a fair question to ask how many of those early roles and accolades would have gone to James Dean had he not done a mind meld with a Porche? 

I don’t know, I cannot see Dean as Luke. 

If you have HBO it is worth your time.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw article on Joanne Woodward recently, alive and has advanced dementia and does not rember him or her children. Sad what old age does.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger