August 14, 2022

conflicted

It is said that funerals are for the living. The one we attended yesterday was a case in point. My wife’s ex-brother-in-law passed away earlier this week. As the minister stated “there are a lot of mixed emotions here today”. I can say for my case I wasn’t there for the deceased and I can state irrevocably my wife wasn’t. We were there for her sister and niece.

It was good to see my wife’s family. As for the deceased, my mother told me not to speak ill of the dead. I guess I already have. He died with no family outside of an ex-wife who stayed married to him way too long and an estranged daughter who only reconnected after he got sick and had no one else to call. 

What abuses he piled on his family in the years before his divorce I am sure I only know the surface. 

But I knew his secrets. 

As I said, I was there for the living. 

I said a prayer for him. I’m not sure I meant it. For that I ask forgiveness.

He was a Vietnam vet. I appreciate his service. 

2 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

Funerals can be tough depending on the deceased.
That's why it's important to live a godly life, so that people don't resent going to your funeral.

Anonymous said...

Was the sister-in-law there for her daughter? I certainly didn't and wouldn't have gone to my ex funeral. Were you there for her? I would have put a stake through my ex-brother-in law casket if I went.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger