September 21, 2022

If wishes were horses we would all ride

 I’ve been to Mexico. I’m talking real Mexico, not just the tourist beaches. I’m talking of Reynosa, Monterrey, Puebla, Mexico City. I’ve seen how poor some people are, how difficult their lives. I’ve seen how people live in some parts of China. I’m told by people who have been there that’s parts of South America, India, and the Middle East are worse. I imagine life in parts of Africa is hard and miserable. 

I get it. I wish we could help them all. If I lived in those conditions I would do everything in my power to improve the lot of my family. 

It doesn’t make it right. 

The fact they are looking for a better life doesn’t mean we should open our borders. Before you tell me what a jerk I am, let me know how many homeless people you let move into your spare bedroom? How many immigrants have you housed in your garage? 

What is the difference? 

Immigration proponents argue that migrants actually commit fewer crimes than American Citizens. I posit that is false on the surface. Every single one committed a crime when they illegally crossed the border. That is 100%. 

I’ve said it before, crack down on the employers of illegal workers. Fine them out of business. Tax bank and wire transactions to Mexico. If any “migrant”  is caught committing a SECOND crime, even a traffic ticket, immediate deportation upon conviction. 

Anyone caught using a stolen SSN should be charged with fraud, just as an American citizen would be. The IRS could do this easily enough. Maybe some of those new 80000 new agents could get on creating that database.

6 comments:

Barb said...

I will not even get started on the difference between migrants and illegal immigrans except to say the migrants that have been bussed were first checked by the border patrol and they were allowed in the country because there was a very real reason and they had a sponsor somewhere in over half of the cases. The only difference between them and relocated refugees from Africa or the middle east is that the United Nations high commision on refugees has not established camps or a presence in Mexico (very possibly because Mexico will not allow it, but I don't know that for sure). All of these people will be relocated by one of the five agencies authorized to relocate in this country. Then they will have to pay any money that it cost the US government to relocate them, and eventually have proof that they have a way to live and a place to live and a hundred other things. Many of them will go to states like Colorado that welcome refugees, but many will also go to where they already have family. In either case, having them sign a form they most likely could not read, loading them up like cattle and "shipping them north", reeks of stuff thirty years old that should have been gone. Especially when anyone who comes from Cuba simply has to put a foot on dry land.

Practical Parsimony said...

Agree with Barb. Don't lie to load people up and send them to another place. This smacks of kidnapping.

On the other hand, Joe, I agree with you. And, you know I am not a conservative. How do you reconcile what happened to the people who were flown to Martha's Vineyard with your conscience. What would you think if someone lied to your daughter or g-daughter, got them in their vehicle, and took them someplace, luring them with lies?

Anonymous said...

How do reconcile your condemnation when DHD routinely flies immigrants all over the country to move them away from the border?

How do you not see the rank hypocracy of “sanctuary cities “ complaining about 50 or 100 migrants showing up and crying they are overburdened?

Joe

Anonymous said...

Trump employs undocumented workers at his properties. This has been proven as fact.
Just wondering why when Repubs had White House, senate, & house, for 4 yrs, they didn't solve this issue?

Anonymous said...

Neither party has wanted to solve this problem for fifty years

Joe

Joe said...

Sorry, that would be DHS flies them routinely

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger