May 4, 2023

Something Blue

Today is not only Star Wars Day (May the Fourth be with you!), but youngest granddaughter’s fourth birthday. She has been anticipating the day for weeks. Remember how you used to look forward to birthdays? Later in life you dread getting a year older, then a birthday becomes a milestone — you cheated that bastard Grim Reaper another year. 

I started rereading Michael Shaara’s epic Civil War novel The Killer Angels yesterday. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the book. Did he take liberties with the characters? Yes, it is a novel. But he did get the basic history of the Battle of Gettysburg fairly accurate. It is a great read you should grab if you get a chance. 

If I were a history teacher, I would assign this book and then use it as a springboard to discuss the various causes for the Civil War and reasons for fighting the Civil War (they are not the same). Then I would have a historical discussion about each phase of the battle; what happened when. Of course, they do not teach history any more so I would have a worthless lesson plan.

If you ever saw the movie Gettysburg back in the 90’s, it was based on this book. Quick aside: young twenty-something me appeared as an extra in that movie when I was doing Civil War re-enacting. You can see me in Glory too. I am the one wearing a blue uniform. 

8 comments:

Luap57 said...

Read The Killer Angles several times, I agree, a good book. Gods and Generals was better in my opinion; they made a movie about G&G, it's hard to find, being politically incorrect and all.

Practical Parsimony said...

I hate history except for the Pacific theater in WWII. But, I will get these books. I do not understand the distinction in The Civil War and the war.

slugmama said...

I'll have to find that book as I am a history buff. My mother's ancestors are all Virginians going back to practically 1607. Among my ancestral cousins were a family of 5 brothers(2nd cousins 5 x removed)who all went off to fight the Yankees in 1861(none of them were slave owners). All 5 of them were part of Pickett's Charge and one, the oldest who was a school teacher, fell in a cornfield at Gettysburg. His letters home to his wife were compiled into a book which I have a copy of. The 2nd oldest fell at Drewry's Bluff. the other 3 survived and walked home from Appomattox. I've found at least 6 direct ggrands(so far)who also served in that war.

Joe said...

I have a dvd copy of both Gettysburg and G&G. I also read them both.

PP for a great history of the WW2 Pacific theater look for the memoir of Eugene Sledge.

That is great Sluggy. A good friend of mine’s great great whatever was in Pickets charge and from Virginia. He was in the same re-enactment group with me. We were damn Yankees.

I have always loved studying the Civil War, but I am more interested in the Western Theater. My oldest son is named after General George Thomas — The Rock of Chicamauga.

Greybeard said...

In "Angels", when Joshua L. Chamberlain says, "Fix Bayonets" I had tears in my eyes and had to set the book aside for a few minutes.
Great read I recommend to anyone that still reads.

Joe said...

When I went to bed last night I was at the start of the chapter wher Chamberlin moves onto Little Round Top. That section is one of my favorites.

Cappy said...

Picked up Churchill and Orwell when the library purged all of it's doubleplus ungood books. Amazing how little has changed from what turned Orwell sane.

Joe said...

Too many people think 1984 is an instructional manual

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger