June 10, 2023

If you go chasing rabbits

Not yesterday

Yesterday evening I moseyed out to the back patio to read a bit of John D. McDonald. It is not one of his Travis McGee adventures, but interesting nonetheless. John D. is always good. Something caught my attention; a movement, a sound. I looked next to my chair and there’s a rabbit, not two feet away, on the concrete. It looked at me and slowly hopped off to the flower bed. It stood on hind legs, watched me and hopped off without a care towards the gate. I must have shook my head in wonder. I looked back down at my novel.

It was only a few seconds later that I heard a rustle in the flower bed behind me, on the other side of the grill. Another bunny ran up, stopped  beside my chair and looked around. I did not move. He followed the first hare but stopped to nibble beside the playhouse. 

A third rabbit ran past my chair, startled the second one, and ran behind the playhouse. The second rabbit ran towards the back fence. The third bunny sat in the grass, looking around. At one point he too stood on his back legs to stare at me.  I went back to my book. Finally, a few pages later, the third rabbit hopped off in the path of the first rabbit. 

And that, my friends, is exactly why I did not bother to plant a garden this year. 



1 comment:

Cappy said...

It's your fault for leaving a box of Trix out.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger