July 13, 2023

Crash Course in High Speed Aviation

I knocked off work a little after five yesterday evening. I moseyed downstairs and was sitting on the couch ignoring the explosion of dolls and doll clothes littering the living room floor that hurricane granddaughters had left in their wake.

Suddenly, I heard a loud thump on the front door. As I walked into the entryway I noticed a large smear of bird poo on the transom window. I opened the door and lying on the porch was a robin. He had bounced a good two feet. He was young, his chest spots just starting to turn orange. Apparently, he had careened head-on right into the window at full speed like an avian James Dean. 

I don’t know if the bird defecated on the window in an aw crap I’m gonna crash moment or if the  impact knocked the shit out of him. In any case there was a lot of goo on the window. 

I left him lying there in the very small chance little Rockin’ Robin was merely stunned. Alas, Robin Redbreast was dead when I went to clean up the stiff after supper. The flies and ants were already at work when I dropped him in a plastic WalMart bag. Nature is relentless. 

2 comments:

Cappy said...

"This was a warning". E O'Brien.

Jean said...

Mother Nature has no sympathy.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger