February 17, 2024

I Keep My Eyes Wide Open All the Time

We got the first real measurable snowfall of winter yesterday. By the end we probably got on the plus side of five inches of the white stuff. 

The roads were a little slick until the plows got out, but it wasn’t a big deal in the end. I went out around 8PM and shoveled the driveway and sidewalks. Mostly it as a big ho hum snow event.

For Capital City just to my south, it is a big deal. After a fairly mild winter — it hit the sixties last week — they have this snow on the weekend the city is hosting the NBA All-Star game. So it goes. Not that I really care. I do not suppose I have watched an NBA game in twenty years. 

I’m not a lawyer. I haven’t stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for a couple of years.* Can someone, anyone explain just what Trump did to get fined hundreds of millions of dollars by that New York judge? Oh, I know they claim he overstated the value of his collateral. But here’s the thing, Trump took the loans, he paid the loans on time, the banks gave the loans and got back their principle and interest. Everybody won. Everybody made money. The banks even testified they agreed with the stated value. How is there a crime without a victim? 

If I go to the bank and demand a $2 million dollar mortgage for my little hovel, no banker in the world is going to lend me that kind of cash, no matter how good or poor my credit rating is, without doing some serious evaluation of my assets and collateral. Even a pawn shop looks up the value of an item before they give a loan. 

No matter what you think of Trump, and there is plenty to dislike, you have to objectively look at this skeptically. Especially when the prosecutor vowed as an election promise she was going to get Trump for something, anything. The trial next month is equally specious. There was an uproar yesterday when Putin’s main challenger died in prison, many arguing he was prosecuted for political reasons. I’m not sure I see a lot of difference in what Democrat partisans are doing to Trump. It all started with the Russia collusion farce, and hasn’t stopped. 

Again, I would vote for almost anyone with the right politics over Trump. But recent events sure have a distinct Banana Republic feel to them.

Look, your opinion may vary. Tell me in the comments. You will be wrong, but I’ll read what you have to say. 


*There used to be an adverting campaign where people could do extraordinary things after staying in a Holiday Inn Express. 
 

6 comments:

glasslass said...

You've said nothing to disagree with. I worked in that business and no bank ever gave a loan to someone based on their evaluation of a property. Banks have appraiser's who are skilled in commercial real estate in their area. No victim, no fraud, no case. But NY for years loved this man and then the insidious lies started and grew more by the day. So they convicted on no evidence cause he's Trump. It'll be overturned all the way up the line.

slugmama said...

For years now, the left has weaponized anything or one they can get their hands on, as you well know. This case is just another to dump on the pile of special treatment of someone who doesn't agree with their world view.

And the lopsided political world continues to turn.

Greybeard said...

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
This will come back to bite them in the ass.

Cappy said...

Yup.

Anyone want to stack up Russian treatment of political prisoners vs. the January 6th protestors? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

Anonymous said...

A set of books for the bankers
A set of books for the IRS
A set of books with the real numbers.

It's just fraud. He's a con artist.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your post. The bankers agreed to the terms of the loan (Theirs to refuse if they wish) and the bankers received back what they loaned plus interest.

Many dislike Trump for his behavior and public speeches. Too outspoken. But that is a trait of many fellow New Yorkers as well. New York City has been rated one of the most rudest cities in the U.S. So not just a DJT trait.

Not having the ability to stop yourself from giving your opinion is NOT against the law. I think the objection to DJT is that he is out of other's control. The press particularly hates it and he is happy to show he doesn't care what MSN thinks.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger