June 23, 2005

What I Read and Why

Alli has tagged me and I will participate, because I love to read. Often I am not as aware of the current events of the day because I am absorbed in some 19th Century battle as described in a book.

Number of books I own:

More than 1,000. I really have no idea, but when I got married I had over 2,000. I have since purged the book shelves, and boxes, and storage bin, and relative's houses. I use the library more now.

Last book purchased:

Sharpe's Fortress by Bernard Cornwell. I have just started reading this series and enjoy it immensely. Rich in historical detail and a great read.

Last book read:

I often read as many as three or four books at once. I am reading / just finished (in the last week) these:

Sharpe's Fortress by Bernard Cornwell
Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard Cornwell (see above)
The Philippine War 1899 -1902 by Brian Linn
Chancy by Louis L'Amour (re-read)

5 books that mean a lot to me:

Wow, where do I start, books have been my greatest entertainment in life. Other than my family, nothing means more than the friends and adventures I have had through books.

Here are some I would recommend as some of the best reads out there:

The Maturin/Aubry books (Master and Commander) by Patrick O' Brian. Hands down the greatest historical fiction ever written. O'Brian is a master of language and you really get the feel of British Naval life in the Napoleonic era.
The Brotherhood of War or The Corps series by WEB Griffin.

Louis L'Amour - my grandfather gave me one of e westerns as a boy.
Hemingway.
Stephen Coonts
Stephen Hunter
The Washing of the Spears by Donald Morris one of the greatest histories ever written
Tacitus
Tim Dorsey or Carl Hiaason -- hilarious must read any/all

I know, that is more than 5, but any of those authors will give you a wonderful read.

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger