September 19, 2005

Monday Grab Bag II

Sorry for the light posting over the weekend. Life sometimes intrudes on blogging. Sometimes a few beers and a football game are more interesting than dumping my brainpan into the computer.

For those of you keeping track at home, the little one won another football game on Saturday. We won 36-0 (we still cannot kick an extra point). The boy scored a touchdown and then badgered me the rest of the day to call more plays for him -- he wanted MORE. We put in the second team for most of the game. We are now 2-0 and have yet to even punt in a game.

Did you ever think you would hear the phrase "The Colts defense won the game?"

Whatever happened to the old sitcoms?* We can catch them on various cable channels. Nowadays the writers have to put social commentary and meaning into every show. We have to promote the gay agenda, a certain political point of view or make us "think". What happened to just plain entertainment?

I see the same trend in movies. The critics will pan any movie that does not have a message. What is wrong with just having fun? The American Pie movies or Porky's are perfect examples of great entertainment, but they were destroyed by the critics.

The Hillbillys are still funny. In the last few weeks I have watched several episodes of My Three Sons. Do you still laugh at Gilligan or Lucy? How about PT 109, Andy Griffith, or Gomer Pyle? Everybody Loves Raymond fits into that old time format, I often laugh out loud at that show. Raymond is not the funny one though, the show is stolen by Brad Garrett and the Dad.

What happened to the old shows? Besides, the girl who plays Katie on My Three Sons was hot.


* I think I am starting to sound like that asshat Andy Rooney -- sorry.

2 comments:

GUYK said...

I wasn't too crazy about those shows either. I did watch the Beverly Hillbillies though because I though Ellie was HOT. And I know some people that remind me quite a bit of Jethro although they managed to graduate from the 12th grade.

TheDukes of Hazard rereuns get my attention and some of the older MASH and Cheers I like. One of the most underrated sitcoms was Night Court which was funny as hell without too much of a social message.

TheWayfarer said...

Critics are the last source one should look to regarding what constitutes a good movie or book. If they say it sucks, you can bet the rent it's worth looking into. Like politicians, they are your touchstone for error. I know this for a fact from the way Rex Reid ripped Star Wars in its hey-day (I doubt s/he even bothered to watch the thing!).

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger