October 1, 2005

Hunting

I was reading this funny post over at Guy's place and it reminded me of a story I heard a few years ago.

I used to work for a company that had its headquarters in upstate New York. Nestled between the Berkshires and the Catskills in the Hudson valley, the small town atmosphere was enticing. The town was located a couple hours north of New York City. The area was a magnet for what the locals called "citiots" who came to hunt every fall. Here is the tale as he told me:

Every year the citiots (city + idiots) would come to hunt. It is now so dangerous locals go to Pennsylvania or New Hampshire to hunt. Those idiots will shoot at anything. Every year at least one guy gets shot by fellow hunters. I was standing at the convenience store last year when this car pulls up. A guy decked out in Eddie Bauer gear and an orange hat jumps out. I noticed he a large animal tied across his hood. "Good hunting?" I asked.

"Isn't she a beaut?" he replied. I nodded laughing.

You see, he had a large dog tied down on his hood. This idiot did not know the difference between a deer and a wolfhound!. That is why I do not hunt anymore. Any idiot can get a hunting permit!

3 comments:

GUYK said...

I had a good friend that was a foreman on a huge ranch in the Little Belt mountains a bout fifty miles from Great Falls Montana. When he had time to go with me we would hunt deer and/or elk on the ranch but it was the owners ploicy that no one hunted without either the foreman or the owner along as a guide. Seems that some slob hunters had shot some 'white faced' elk. Then came up to the ranch house looking for help to load them in their pickup.

There are some slobs in the woods during hunting season. I quit hyunting anything but quail years ago and have not been quail hunting in at least five years.

TheWayfarer said...

I have long held to the opinion that there needs to be a gun operators license (like a driver's license). You have to have some semblance of grey matter and pass a driving test to get a motor vehicle operator's permit, but any damn Johnny-Reb can get a gun. Then he leaves the fucker loaded and laying in the living room of his trailer, and is seen bawling his "haid" off when Johnny junior gets a hold of it and blows himself away by accident.
Stupid people shouldn't breed!

GUYK said...

The one that got head blown off will not breed.

Some states have passed laws that requirse a gun safty course before they will issue a hunting license.

But I think you will find there area hell of a lot more people killed by licensed automobile drivers than there are by unlicensed gun shooters. By your logic then there should be a license to operate a chain saw, a knife, a claw hammer, a baseball bat, or an ice pick. Just keep in mind that the only thing licenses have ever proved is that by requiring them the goverement can raise more money.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger