May 25, 2010

Cruisin' the strip, thirty years later.

Last night around 10:00 PM, the wife remembered she had to take a sack lunch today for a field trip. Since I am a great guy I said I would go to the store to get some bread and ham to make her a sandwich. It was a gorgeous night. I rolled down the windows and enjoyed the warm breeze. The night reminded me of the mid-summer evenings cruising the strip; windows down and rock and roll on the radio. Instead of the now-defunct WNAP, this night I was tuned to satellite radio. The tunes have not changed:



The wife accuses me of listening to "oldies". I bristle when she says that. I would never tell her, but I guess she might be right. If someone was listening to 1950's music in the 1970s I would have considered the tunes to be definitely "oldies". What if the radio was tuned to Big Band tunes from the 1930s or 1940s? Older than dirt, I would say. Yet the music I love dates from 40 to fifty years ago.

Holy shit I feel old now.

Here,a two-for-Tuesday, is the only other song by REO that is worth listening to:

4 comments:

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

I guess I don't listen to much that's less than 30 years old now, myself...

We were a big jazz/blues/standards family. It rubbed off on my sister big time; she's married to Ralph Scala :)

mts1 said...

Heck, I see kids (yes, kids of the 12-19 year range) wearing KISS, Led Zep, and Def Leppard t-shirts, not to be ironic, but because they listen to them! I have a cousin who is 16 years my junior who is a Beatles fan, and I considered them slightly before MY time, since they broke up when I was 4. Her husband, who's her age, has a band that's all rehash of Dick Dale surfer music. Kids learning electric guitar practice riffs from Crazy Train and other hard rock and metal standards.

It was just there in the air when we listened to this stuff, but really, they look up to this music as the peak of music making. Classic Rock is the country's #1 genre because the young are listening as much as those who grew up with it.

Bands today like Nickelback and Buckcherry would've fit in seamlessly "back in the day." Heck, I bought my first new, in the box CD in years - Chickenfoot. It had the strange feeling of both enjoying a dream team that I would've sold the car to see in concert back in 1990, and knowing that this is both a great new band and great old masters simultaneously.

mlah said...

i still favor roll with the changes.

and yeah, there are tons of the youngsters listening to "classic" rock.

Joe said...

To be honest all of my kids like classic rock.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger