April 29, 2011

A personal Catch-22*

I have to test my blood sugar twice a day. This involves poking a hole in one of my fingers. I then put the blood drop on a special one-time use strip I put into a meter that measures my blood sugar levels. For some reason no one can explain, these test strips are a controlled substance. I need a prescription to get them. I suppose it is to thwart those addicts who cannot get enough blood sugar testing.

The test strips I use come prepackaged from the manufacturer in containers of 50. This number is important.  Pay attention, this will be on the test.

In past months the friendly druggist has provided 100 strips (2 packages) when I refilled the prescription. I picked up my strips last night. I needed them this morning, as I was out. When I pulled out the package the pharmacist had only given me 50 (one package). That is enough for 25 days.

My insurance will only pay for a refill once a month. The fifty count refill will not last 30 days. I am instantly pissed. You see, CVS had screwed me over similarly just a month or two ago. Remember this post?

This morning I found myself heading back to the Pharmacy. That does not sound right.  It was no coincidence -- went there with a purpose and ready for a fight.

I explained the problem.  The clerk talked to the pharmacist. He handed me another package, but explained the issue. The druggist said the insurance company has complained that I was getting 100 strips. They view that as 50 days worth and will only pay for 30 days supply. If I get 50 strips it only lasts 25 days. The insurance will only pay for refills every thirty days. He is not sure what to do. I am not sure what to do. He said he argued with the insurance company last time. He agreed to give me another 50 this time and we would see what happens. He said if the insurance company refuses to pay, I will only be able to get fifty strips in the future.

I can hardly wait until the same people who bring us the IRS, Social Security and the Passport office get to control our healthcare. This kind of snafu will  seem minor.

* one of the crappiest books ever written.

4 comments:

Jean said...

Seems to me someone also needs to be bitching to the manufacturer for not packaging 60 or more at a time.

Ed Bonderenka said...

10 hot dogs, dozen buns.

Joe said...

Jean -- it is hard to standardize test strips. Some people have to test many times a day, some only a few times a week. Some diabetics have to test before and after every meal and in the middle of the night.

I am still thinking this is another CVS mix up, or they got an idiot reviewing the claim. I like to think common sense would apply. Sigh, I know -- as Ed wrote 10 hot dogs...

Ralphd00d said...

I agree. It was a shitty book.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger