December 22, 2011

Perpetual Change

I finished my shopping in almost record time. Friendly salespeople in the women's store will always recognize a lost soul with a list in hand. It is easy commission.  In any case helping a customer find a specific item beats folding the same shirt on the front table for ninth time that hour.My patent 'awe shucks' and 'please help me' attitude never fails.

My approach to my work as a salesman is a related cousin to my Christmas shopping plan. In my dealing with my customers I am just an ordinary guy trying to make a living. There is no trace of the used car/insurance salesman huckster in my approach. I am knowledgeable and friendly. I have no issue being on the shop floor. My ace is self deprecating humor. Despite what you read here, and what alternate opinion you may have formed about me, that is my true persona. I save my pent-up obnoxiousness for you.  And my family.

I had an East Coast boss who hated my approach and constantly lectured me about changing the way I interact with customers, despite my continued success and territory growth. Many of those customers left with me when I went to a new company. That was also the same asshole who actually suggested I read from a script to customers. I laughed at him -- right to his face. He had issues that I did not take notes in meetings, until I recited back the entire conversation by rote to him in the car -- complete with volumes and part numbers. Of course he got the last laugh when he used the economic downturn after 9/11 to fire me. I quote -- "This department is going to make budget this year. The only way we can do it is by cutting salary. You are second in salary behind me, and I am not going anywhere. I have to let you go". One of my previous competitors hired me a week later.

Somehow we have drifted off topic, whatever that topic was.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Companies love the cookie cutter approach to everything. They want a stamping machine to create employee's, identical in every way. Its the standard way of doing things, proven by someone's numbers. We are knee deep in the current love child of those unable to think for themselves. Lean and Six Sigma, it is all total bullshit but they love it.
James Old Guy

Jean said...

Geez, I'll simply 'ditto' JOG.

Always seemed to me that management got nervous around employees who actually understood the job. Made them look stupid. Because they usually are.

Anonymous said...

That was my theory, Jean. I knew more than he did so I had to go

Joe

marcus said...

It really is funny how the bosses cannot understand success?

Ed Bonderenka said...

Dont get me started...

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger