October 4, 2017

Snarking down the Highway

It is raining. I'm pretty sure no one predicted that. Maybe they did. I was in Chicagostan Monday and Tuesday so I might have missed it. I got home late in the evening and went to bed a couple of hours later, before the weather report came on the late night news.

I wish I had some interesting tales of travel to relate. It was an uneventful drive, a standard room in a cookie cutter hotel, an unremarkable burger for supper, a day of meetings at the corporate office and drive home. Ho hum. Ho hum. I did see a woman at the truck stop when I stopped to pay my coffee rental that was testing the stretch limits of her yoga pants. The only stretching she did in those britches was to reach for some more ice cream and Oreos. I could almost hear the nylon and rayon blend fibers screaming in pain like a heretic on the rack in Inquisition-era Spain. The flesh jiggling and bouncing in her rear end resembled a couple of raccoons fighting in a burlap bag.

I just read where a city in Georgia offered to change the name of their burg to "Amazon" if the retail giant agrees to move their headquarters there. I hope, if that comes to pass, the name change will have more relevance 50 years in the future than the morbid gambit Mauch Chunk, PA made when they offered cash and a city name change to the widow of Jim Thorpe if she allowed his remains to be buried in the town cemetery. How's that tourist attraction working out these days? "Kids, would you rather go to Disney World or Jim Thorpe?". Yeah.

Look it up, I wouldn't lead you astray.

I have to get to work. Enjoy your hump day.

4 comments:

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Well, my brother-in-law got married in Jim Thorpe, PA, so there's that.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

BTW, what ever happened to the idea that a corporation moved to a city because it was clean, had good schools, low cost of living, and was generally a nice place to raise your kids? When did sticking the existing population of the city for 10 years of tax abatements enter into it?

I'm gonna guess about the same time cities decided it made sense to build sports stadiums at public expense and then hand them over pretty much lock-stock-and-barrel to the sports franchises they wanted to attract (or keep).

Anonymous said...

Corportations are moving to more friendly labor and tax areas. South Carolina picked up Boeing, Volvo and BMW and a lot of the supporting companies. Tax abatements are a fact of life, what they lose in corporate tax they make up in increased employment and that tax along with sales taxes, etc etc.


James Old Guy

Joe said...

Just think about the retail giants 50-60 years ago and where they are now: Sears, Wards, Penny's, Woolworth.

I think changing the town's name could be as dumb in hind site as Jim Thorpe, PA

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger