August 23, 2021

A Monday full of complaints.

My garden has been a disappointment this year. The rabbits ate the first fruits. Then it rained. A lot. Too much. Then it got cold. Very cold for summer. Then came the drought. We got maybe 0.25 inches of rain in July. Now the ‘maters have stalled. The bell pepper just blooms. The cucumbers are white. The jalapeƱo has put out 10 or 12 nice tasty peppers, but that is it. I still have a dozen or more golf ball-sized green tomatoes. Same as I had a few weeks ago. 

Others have the same complaints. Gardens are bad this year. 

I could just say a quick “so it goes”. I could just blame it on climate change, ignoring the notion that increased warmth and CO2 is good for plant growth. Hey, let’s not let science get in the way of hysteria. Who knows. I’m on the verge of just foregoing the watering and telling the recalcitrant tomatoes they are on their own. Put out or else. 

I sat helpless in the air conditioning yesterday as the wife mowed, pulled weeds, and cleaned off the patio in blistering heat. I clumped out on my crutches a few times to offer non-existent help. Each time I hobbled back inside to the cool air. It was too hot for moral support. 

I’m going to drop a roast in the crockpot for supper. I can manage that.


1 comment:

Greybeard said...

Worked my ass off a few years back to till the soil, get the seed planted, then hoe the rows as plants emerged. I was proud enough of my work I had my bride come out and take a photo of me in the middle of all my work.
Next morning? Nothing but nubs, and I didn't think they'd be interested in the green peppers. I was dead wrong. So were all my plants.
Our deer population has absolutely exploded this year. We won't suffer for lack of meat when the SHTF.
But green peppers might be hard to come by.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger