October 16, 2021

If a Cabinet Officer can take two months off work, is he really doing anything?

Yikes!, it is forty-seven degrees outside. Hotter than blazes if you live in Celsius land. Rather cool if you live in ‘Murcia where we still use the confusing and righteous Imperial system. The rest of the world can just take your Celsius and your kilometers and your liters and bugger off. “I’d walk 1.609 kilometers for a Camel” just doesn’t have the same cachet. 

Yes, I’m in that same weird mood as yesterday. 

I have been watching the Ken Burns documentary on Muhammad Ali. I am two episodes in. Is it possible to admire and hate a person? That’s the way I always felt about the boxer. Not for his religion. It was his braggadocio.* He spawned a whole generation of athletes lacking in humility. You understand his trash talking, his taunts. He got so far into his opponents head he was in their dreams. But you can never doubt his work ethic nor his skill. 

My coffee is getting cold and the content is getting stale. Time to wrap it up.



*I often joke around here about being king or whatever. In real life I am a self-deprecating humble person.  

8 comments:

Greybeard said...

Conscientious Objector-
In 1942 my Uncle enlisted as a C.O. and was assigned to the 101st Airborne Division as a medic. He was aboard a glider that crash landed in Normandy on D-Day, breaking his ankle, and he spent the rest of the war as a prisoner in a German P.O.W. camp.
...Ask me how I feel about Cassius Clay.

Joe said...

I was commenting more on his athletic ability.

His stance on Vietnam, I have a harder issue with. He wouldn’t have gone to Vietnam most likely anyway. They even point that out in the documentary.

Jean said...

I think he learned early that his braggadocio brought him a bigger audience and probably more money.

Anonymous said...

He's breastfeeding Joe.

Just another democrat boob pretending to be successful.

His stoopid smsrt streets in SB are the extent of his experience and accomplishments. I'm reminded every day as I wait 5 minutes at every light (when no co other cars arrive) so I can look at empty the businesses and homeless people for a good looong time.


Fred (or, dumbass blonde to you HB)

Joe said...

Did I ever call you a dumbass blonde?

I hope not

Anonymous said...

No worries. Not me personally.

(I think g0000gle blocked me from commenting again from my phone after my last comment. lol.)

We good.

Maybe tell a dingy brunette or crazy-old-guy-with-gray-hair-joke once in a while?

j/k


Freddie

Anonymous said...

Wow. Two typos in my last comment. That's what happens when I comment with emotion.

I am reminded of ACTUALLY being a breastfeeding mom, working full-time, taking care of a family of four, and pumping in a room with a make-shift lock under the doorknob, while a lawyer knocked on it from outside. BUT I STILL DID MY DAMNED JOB!

Ok. That is all. Have a good day.


Fred

Joe said...

👍

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger