October 3, 2021

Living in the past

Anyone who has read the musings and minutiae of this space since it’s humble beginnings back in 1947 is aware that I love history. I enjoy reminiscing. I relish tales of yore. 

But I wouldn’t go back and relive a moment of my life for any amount of riches. I’ve been there, done that. I made the best decisions based on the moment with the knowledge at hand.

OK, I made some bad decisions. Lots of them. But that’s how we build up life knowledge. It’s called experience. 

I have no interest in going to a high school reunion. If I wanted to talk to old schoolmates I would. If they wanted to find me it wouldn’t be hard. Until a year or so ago my mom and dad lived right there in the house where I grew up. 

Unlike the plot of movies, high school wasn’t the best time of my life. I didn’t hate it, but it sure wasn’t my glory days. Same with college, where I had a great time, as my grades proved. But, I wouldn’t go back. 

I’ve lived a pretty happy life. Lots of highs, even more lows. 

But I have lived. 

For that I’m thankful. But you can’t go back. You shouldn’t want to.


Apropos  nothing related to this post, here is a poorly taken selfie of the wife and I all gussied up in our fancy clothes at a wedding last night:

Edit. Missed it  you should be clicking here every day

I’m not so good at taking selfie pictures, as you can see.

But man, do I look old. WTH happened?


3 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

You guys look good.
A recently attended my 50th. I felt I should go. It was interesting and I don't regret it.

Jean said...

You don't look old. You look distinguished and your wife looks simply beautiful, as usual.

Cappy said...

Dating a girl who was a year ahead of me in High School.

She has solved time travel, answered the queston "what would you do if you could go back?" The answer - not a got danged thing! Still no car! That idiot kid yammers about Apple stock and relational calculus all day!

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger