December 17, 2021

Ch-ch-changes

 From 1993 to 2014  I sold widgets to large OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers). My customers were big companies you have heard of in the industrial, agricultural, automotive, and commercial vehicle industries. I worked for salary, not commission. In 2014 my territory was more than $35 million dollars. I loved my job. 

The company I worked for was sold and I found myself out of work. Since then, I have had several jobs and even more bad luck. Each succeeding position a was little less responsibility and a lot less money than the one I had before, until I thought I would never get a sales job again after the last layoff. 

In September, a good company offered me a job, back on the road, selling aftermarket parts for a low salary and a lot of commission. I am more grateful for that job than you can imagine. Today is my last day there. I offered to stay to the end of the year. They weren’t interested. 

I start a new job with the New Year. I will be calling on very large OEMs selling widgets. My territory will be more than $20 million dollars. I will travel around the US and have some international travel. I am more excited than you can imagine. For seven years I’ve been looking for this job. I finally found it!

A lot of this year has been lousy. The last quarter has been pretty good. 

I am truly blessed. 

13 comments:

Ed Skinner said...

There are good companies and bad ones, selling good things and bad things, and that pay fairly or poorly, and are nice or nasty to work for. On the rare occasion of finding yourself at a good company with a good product at a fair price and associated with nice people, savor it because ... you know.

Cappy said...

This is good to hear. You deserve a break!

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

BAM! I knew you could/would do it.

:)


Fred

Practical Parsimony said...

Your unhappiness was palpable in your posts. I am so happy for your getting this new job. Don't forget us.

Jean said...

Fantastic!! You sooooo deserve this.
Congratulations and Merry Christmas.

Cheryl said...

Congratulations, I'm very happy for you. Best news today.

Scott said...

Great news for you and your family. I traveled for 45 years, and loved it. The company I worked for made a bad hire at the top of the food chain that sucked the fun out of it, and I decided to get off the road. Hope it all is a good thing for you. Scott

Jackie said...

Joe--I am so happy for you! What a blessing for you! I agree that your unhappiness with your job was often obvious in your posts. Have a wonderful holiday season--I know that it will be a good New Year for you.
Jackie in CA--your faithful liberal reader

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

God bless, Joe. I hope this is everything you want it to be, and more. Merry Christmas!

B said...

Outstanding for you.

I know you never gave up, despite being discouraged. You worked shit jobs to keep the lights on while still looking.
I am very happy for you now that you finally found a job that suits your needs, goals and personality.

B

Joe said...

Thank you all for your kind words.

You have no idea the depths of despair I had over the past six or seven years, but especially in the last year or two. I came close, for the first time in my life, to just giving up.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I am so happy for you. Nothing worse than disliking the job your forced to take to keep the lights on. But a new year, new job, new places to travel. How wonderful for you and your family. It is a very merry Christmas for all. I live in Mayfield and came through relatively unscathed so we will both have a very good Christmas.
Margi

Joe said...

Margi

I’m glad you are safe

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger