December 4, 2021

I woke early, but I’m not woke enough

 Yeah, yeah, there will be more music posted later as the Christmas juke box continues in an effort to get above 2019’s low post total of 302. Will I make it? Does anyone care? After all, it is only my white privilege that entitles me to author this blog anyway. 

I’m up early again. Statement, not complaint. I’ll nap later, I presume. I am not sure what is on the agenda today. At some point later this morning the Social Director will let me know the day’s activities. Should it involve shopping I just might opt to rake the leaves again instead. Of course I was at work as temperatures hit near sixty the past couple of days. Now that it is the weekend, we are looking at the forties. So it goes, it is December after all. 

 Before I do yard work or whatever, I have some time to kill. It is a dark, foggy five aye-em after all. I have last week’s episode of Yellowstone queued up on the DVR. Then I may dig out some of my holiday classics. I haven’t watched Holiday Inn yet this year. On the other hand, I’ve been listening to some Sharpe audiobooks in the truck lately on my business travels, so I’m in a bit of a Napoleonic War mood. I might drag out my version of Waterloo on DVD. 

We will just wait to see how it goes. I’m not sure I should watch either movie. The Bing Crosby classic that launched the tune White Christmas has a cringe-worthy blackface number in it. The historically accurate Waterloo is notably missing any people of color in the cast. For goodness sake both lead characters, Napoleon and the Duke of Wellington are portrayed by white men. Can you imagine? Even the bit players, the soldiers who die at la Haye Sainte or in the cavalry charges on the British squares are all white men. There are no POC actors, no women soldiers, not even a trans artilleryman. The movie should rightly just be banned altogether. Perhaps there is a trans person waltzing in an Empire dress at the party scene early in the movie, but I have missed it. Certainly that character would have been highlighted? 

The problem is I don’t spend sufficient time looking to be outraged. Re-education and my diversity training  probably need to be updated. Instead, I have been focusing on working hard trying to make a better life for my family.

Silly me.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

type in people of color napolean wars and see what you get. Also when watching manager or real christmas shows jesus wasn't white he was arab. There were women that fought under the civil war but had to do so in drag. So there are many elements of your interest that shows your whitewashed male world.

Anonymous said...

oh also don't forget the voting rights and property rights these people had to fight for here. check your amendments to the constitution. I don't see those for white males. Basic rights that many fought and suffered and died for. Surely they just complained and blamed their sex and color because of that and said they could never succeed. wish you and your family success. Because I think all should have an equal chance. But remember before you post some dribble make sure you have walked a mile in the shoes or no shoes for some.

Joe said...

It must be exhausting to go through life completely humorless and angry all of the time.

What a sad and pathetic life you lead

Anonymous said...

Contrar my simpleton. I lead a happy privileged life with many blessings. Because I am aware of that it makes life very fulfilling. Empathy to others is a gift that gives back. Try it sometime instead of being wrapped up in your own little white privileged world of consumerism. You may find your world expanding and growing and fulfilling. mouse

Joe said...

When I read your comments it is reminiscent of the teacher in a Peanuts cartoon: whaaa whahh wha wha wha.

Cappy said...

Thanksgiving and 1st light of Chanukkah in Indy. First big family get together in forever, daughter hosted beautifully. 2 year old grandson cheering on the Colts with the family.

Drove across red state Ohio and Indiana with ultraliberal sister. She blew up inappropriately on schedule several times at dinner.

And this is why my people can't have a Hallmark holiday special. Actually, we could, but would have to cast Jane Fonda as the bigmouth sister.

Cappy said...

Be careful who's shoes you walk in. If it's Red Forman's it has been stuck up someone's ass.

Joe said...

Crappy for the win

Practical Parsimony said...

The comments and attitude anonymous espouses are correct. However, I am loathe to attack Joe!

Joe, if your wife were smart, she would schedule a shopping trip every time you drug your feet on doing things around the house. However, I have not detected your reluctance to do things around the house. And, I think your wife is very smart for letting you catch her.

Joe said...

PP, anonymous is just a humorless troll that just spews garbage here to get me to respond.

He makes judgments and accusations about my life with no facts, just his imagined stereotypes.

Practical Parsimony said...

Okay

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger