July 21, 2022

Stupid is as stupid does

Mayor Pete proves yet again he is ignorant of real life. He testified this week that he is confounded that Americans aren’t flocking to buy EVs. He said if Congress would provide subsidies the cars would cost less. Clearly Pete doesn’t understand the difference between cost and price. If an EV is listed at $50,000 and there is a subsidy for $10,000, the car still costs $50,000. The other $10,000 is just paid by the taxpayers — your friends and neighbors. 

More to the point, here is an example of why people don’t want EVs. I have to go to Chicago for business in a couple of weeks. I may be able to make it there and back on one tank of gas. It will be close. Assume I need to fill up. It will take about ten minutes, counting a pee break and wait in line to buy a Milky Way or something for the round trip.

With an EV, I will have to stop at least once, maybe twice, to charge, depending what n how much I run the AC, listen to the radio, or traffic. Providing I can find a fast charger in the hinterlands of NW Indiana, it will take 30 minutes to charge. If not, eight hours? My four plus hour trip just took an extra 12% to 200% longer. Each way. 

Consider that my car should last 150,000 miles easily if I take car of it. The battery on an EV will last 70-100,000 miles. The battery replacement cost is $16,000 to $20,000. You might as well buy a used car.

I won’t even cover the problems with the electric grid. Or the fact that even with subsidies an EV costs more than an gas car.

So, Mayor Pete, that is why I don’t want one of your EVs you jackass.

3 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

You ruin your excellent arguments with name-calling.

Joe said...

You are probably right.

That doesn’t mean he’s not a jackass

Anonymous said...

You will be lucky if your not shot or carjacked in Chicago. Oh by the way bring a generator to charge that car.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger