January 13, 2024

Come on Sugar let me know

I was “standing” in the hall bathroom bit after 4PM yesterday when power kicked off. I quickly finished, trying to maintain my aim in the dark, washed up, and went to check what was going on. First, I turned off he laptop since it was now running on battery mode. I looked across the street to see if the neighbors had power. It was not evident either way. I opened the electric company app and sure enough, their was a widespread power outage reported already. 

Wait? What did that say there in small print at he bottom of the outage report? Power was expected to be restored at 10:30 PM! I looked down at my right hand. Let’s see, 4:30 to 10:30...I need more fingers...

I looked out the window, dark was not so far off. I grabbed a couple of flashlights, my Kindle Paperwhite, and little Bose bluetooth speaker. I had a seventy percent charge on the phone, that was good news.  I called the wife, who was attending the grandgirls, and told her there was no need to hurry home. I lit a candle on the kitchen table, then, for next few hours I read, looked out the windows, and listened to music in the ever-darkening house.

Finally, around 6:30 the wife came to get me to go somewhere for dinner. After dinner we went to Target for stuff. I checked the electric company app. Power is expected to be restored at 1:30 AM. YGTBFKM.

Returning to the darkened house in a blacked-out neighborhood, I was happy I spent a few bucks extra for the battery backup on the garage door opener when I replaced it last summer. 

It was chilly in the house, but not too bad upstairs. I retired to my office to read on the ebook’s lighted screen, the wife to the other recliner in the girl’s bedroom to play on her iPad. 

No wonder our ancestors went to bed at sundown. They were bored. There is not much to do after dark but hump and draw stick figures of deer on the cave wall. Well let me tell you, the wife said no, and I couldn’t find the crayons. 

Fortunately, the power kicked on a little after eleven. Satisfied all was good, I went to bed. In the dark. Now I have to reset the stupid clocks.

Here is some Saturday music that has nothing to do with power outages.


2 comments:

glasslass said...

Below you in Ky we lost power at 10:15pm while I was playing on my phone. No snow but really high winds. Went about getting ready for bed with my 2 pairs of socks, heavy sherpa pants, and summer tee shirt+henley+heavy sweatshirt. Waddled to bed with extra blanket. Think Pillsbury Dough Boy. By now it's down to 65 in house. Crawled in, got 1 more chapter in book on kindle and lights come on. Get up,turn of TV and all lights, stripped down to reasonable outfit but it's 1 in the am and I have to be in town by 11:45am. It was a short night.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thankfully things weren't worse!

Thanks for the giggles too.

Is it EVER gonna stop snowing?! Probably 5 or 6 inches out there already and the percentages aren't going down until tomorrow, when it's gonna be 2 degrees.

Now I know how Tallman felt all those years.

Praying the tractor starts, cuz I'm pretty sure the shoveling could send me to join him.

Grateful to be safe and warm, however.

Stay safe and warm. And keep your pipes warm too!


Fred

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger