April 15, 2024

April showers bring yard work

Lest you imagine my life is sitting around watching movies and baseball, you should know I actually ventured outside yesterday to do some yard work. I gathered my maul, the shovel, the DeWalt reciprocating saw, and my work gloves and proceeded to dig up the roots of the two big lilac bushes I cut down last fall. The one closest to the house was smaller, but had its own unique challenge since I could not pry under the root ball on one side because of the house wall. The second, larger bush, was a real fight. I finally got it dug up, but I needed the wife to help me chuck it in the trash bin. I bet it weighed seventy-five pounds. 

I had some more brush to cut but decided to call it a day after the digging, cutting, chopping, and prying. You will be pleased to know the project did not elicit one single swear word from my lips. That in itself was a minor miracle. 

Now I need to get a couple of bags of dirt and a bunch of mulch to fill in the holes and cover the flower bed. It is nice to be able to see out of the family room window. I will miss the smell of lilacs this spring, but not the mess. The shrubs were too big and needed to go. 

4 comments:

Jean said...

One of my favorites...lilacs. Makes me kinda sad you had to give up yours.

Linda said...

Plant another lilac and maybe trim it so it does not get in the way.

Anonymous said...

I am going to extend the patio over that spot when $ is available (hopefully next year)

Cappy said...

That's hard work. Glad I defoliated years ago.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger