With the start of school.imminent, the eldest granddaughter and I embarked on a historical roadtrip. This is our second adventure*, but I'm not sure I can yet claim it an annual thing. She starts middle school next week and we all know about adolescents and their elders. At this point she disp!aye none of the attitudes that some teenagers adopt.
We slashed pur way across NW Ohio, visiting the Neil Armstrong museum in Wapakoneta first. The granddaughter has aspirations of being an astronomer and what better place to visit? I found the museum to be a bit worn and expensive for what was there , but the 30 minute movie about Apollo 11 was terrific. It sent goosebumps down my spine.
There weren't many people there and I suspect more than five decades since Armstrong planted his left foot on th he lunar surface has dimmed his place in history a bit.
Next we headed a bit south and drove past Annie Oakley's grave near North Star then visited the Annie Oakley center and the Garst museum in Greenville.
Granddaughter 1 has a strong interest in strong nd famous women and enjoyed the displays about the famous entertainer and sharpshooter.. We toured the whole place and we enjoyed the "old stuff" and I even discussed the Treaty of Greenville with her and it's implications for settling the Midwest.
Yeah, she is smart as a whip and not only loves science, but digs history.
We had a great time and a long day. She is my intellectual soulmate, in that she likes learning new stuff, only she is far brighter than I am and thankfully lacks the sarcastic streak that I fight to keep under control.
What? You only see a fraction of what bounces around in my head.
*Last year we went to the Air Force museum in Dayton. Go. It is awesome.

2 comments:
What wonderful memories you're making. Awesome!
Joe cut a bloody swath across Northwest Ohio, culminating in the great siege of Sandusky.
Post a Comment