November 26, 2010

Friday Five

Back in its original form, I offer the Friday Five. Here are lyrics from songs you should know.  Without using a search engine, answer in the comments the Title and Artist of the song. No cheating now.

Play along it is fun. Do it for the orphans, do it for the starving kids in India. Give it  try, if you loved me you would. Playing along will get you off of Santa's Naughty List...

Here we go, we will start with an easy one:

1. Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life

You were only waiting for this moment to arise
Black bird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to be free
 
2. Hey hey mama said the way you move,
Gon' make you sweat, gon' make you groove.
Ah-ah child way you shake that thing,
Gon' make you burn, gon' make you sting.
Hey hey baby when you walk that way,
Watch your heartache drip, can't keep away.

3. Well, I built me a raft and she's ready for floatin'
Ol' Mississippi, she's callin' my name
Catfish are jumpin'
That paddle wheel thumpin'
Black water keeps rollin' on past just the same
Old black water, keep on rollin'
Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shinin' on me


4. Don't turn your back on me, baby.
Don't turn your back on me, baby.
Yes, don't turn your back on me, baby,
Don't mess around with your tricks;
Don't turn your back on me, baby,
'cause you might just wake up my magic sticks.


You got your spell on me, baby.
You got your spell on me, baby.
Yes, you got your spell on me, baby,
Turnin' my heart into stone;
I need you so bad,
Magic Woman I can't leave you alone.
 
5. Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
Jimmy Rogers on the Victrola up high
Mama's dancin' with baby on her shoulder
The sun is settin' like molasses in the sky
The boy could sing, knew how to move, everything
Always wanting more, he'd leave you longing for

Bonus:  What do these songs have in common and why are they featured today?

Have fun, put your guesses answers in the comments.

7 comments:

Ralphd00d said...

The word "black" in the titles.... I only recognized "Black Magic Woman", "Black Velvet", and "Black Water". Even with 'black' I don't recognize the other two though.

curmudgeon said...

1-Beatles Blackbird
2-Led Zep Black Dog
3-Doobies Black Water
4-Santana Black Magic Woman
5-? Black Velvet
Dam! Can't think of her (#5) name!

Must be Black Friday :)

Joe said...

You guys have them all -- exactly right. ralph you are going to kick yourself on the two you did not know.

Maybe someone can guess the artist on #5. I have to be honest, 'Mudge -- I had to look up the artist for #5 when I put this post together.

dragonlady474 said...

I would have only gotten 2, 3 and 4.

Dan O. said...

I knew #1 was Beatles, wasn't sure of title.

I knew #2 was Lad Zep, but got title wrong until I saw Ralphdood's answer for all start with "Black", then I knew it.

#3 & 4 I got right.

#5, I'm still clueless.

Joe said...

Thanks to everyone for playing along. I honestly thought #1 was the easiest, shows how little I know...

#5 is by Alanah Miles.

curmudgeon said...

#5 - Yep, I remember now.
That's the trouble with those one hit wonder folks. Easy to forget them.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger