June 19, 2011

Happy Fathers Day...

...to all you Dads out there.


Actual picture of Otter and I with our parents circa 1972
Remember, Andy Taylor, Steve Douglas, Mike Brady, Ward Cleaver, and even Homer Simpson all have a team of writers helping them with just the right line in any given situation.  I know I could be a better dad if I had a team of researchers and wordsmiths to give me the perfect response to any situation. Dads like you and me and my pop all have had to make do with the time-tested "winging it" method. My dad was pretty good at it. Me, I try. I suspect I have had as many bad reactions, if not more, than good ones.

In spite of my failures my kids have all turned out well. I refuse to give their mother all the credit.  After all it is Father's Day.

So, here is to you Dad's of the world. I salute you for sitting through every dance recital, coaching little league and soccer, leading the Cub Scout and Boy Scout Troops, bringing home the bacon and being there for every cut and heartache.  I tip my hat to you for driving across town to pick up your son or daughter from that slumber party and the early Sunday trips to pick up a box of donuts because your kid said they sure sounded good.. I salute you because you and I both know those things were not a burden.  You loved every minute of it.

At Christmas we watch A Christmas Story, on June 6th we view the cinematic versions of Normandy. Today we will slip in that Field of Dreams DVD and think about dear old father. "Wanna have a catch?"

Thanks Dad. Happy Father's Day to you all.

4 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

I envy your writing skills.
You said that extremely well.
Enjoy the day.

Jean said...

You are one of the good dads. Absolutely.

Joe said...

You guys make me blush.

Thank you for the kind words.

linda said...

Belated Father's Day wishes!

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger