August 13, 2012

Cats in the cradle...

The wife is tense. The boy is filled with nervous excitement. Tomorrow we take the boy to college.  He is the last one at home. My daughter headed off into college and marriage and a job, that journey started just after I started this blog-o-rama. The oldest son headed off into the world two years later. Now, after a five year gap, it is time for the baby of the family to leave the nest.

I rarely see him these days.  He works, hangs out with friends and comes home after I go to bed. Sometimes he stays the night with buddies who have pools or other cool stuff. But I still know that most days he is home, even if he is asleep in the room right next to my office. Now, he will be away for weeks at a time.  Indiana University is a mere 1.5 hours from the old homestead, a short trip to be sure, but still a lifetime away.

He is not even gone yet, and I am already counting the days until he is home for a few weeks at Christmas break.

2 comments:

Yabu said...

I remember very well when I flew the coup. It was probably a good thing for all involved.

Woodman said...

I just put my youngest on the Kindergarten bus this morning.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger