December 21, 2019

Winter solstice soliloquy.

With a heavy heart we dropped the oldest boy at the airport last night. I wish he could stay for Christmas, but I am happy he was able to come “home” at all. It must be strange for him to visit us in a house and city he never lived, even though it is home to us.

Southerly winds arrive today and portend to melt away the snow on the ground. By tomorrow the snowman in the front yard will be but a wet spot on the ground and a pile of once noses, arms, scarf,  mittens, hat. The chances for a white Christmas are zero according to the weather lady on the local news.

After we dropped off the boy at the airport we motored down to the big shopping mall on the south side of the big city. I don’t know why. I drive where I am told. Apparently there was something at that mall unavailable at any of the three shopping malls within 15 minutes of the homestead. The wife had a couple of bags in her hand when she found me waiting patiently watching the hustle and bustle of the Holiday Season.

We may eat pancakes or beans next week for every meal but everyone will get a little something under the tree. Do you have any gift ideas for the long-suffering wife? Granted, she has me, so every day is like Christmas for her, but a little cherry on top of the sundae that is her life would be nice. I have no ideas at all.

Enjoy your Saturday, it is going to be a short one.

2 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

My mother moved when I was 18. Well, Daddy and younger siblings moved, too. It was very strange. It did not smell like home. It took about 20 years to feel like it was her home. She died in 1993, but it is now her house forever.

Does your wife like to read? A book or homemade gift certificate to a bookstore would make me happy.

Jean said...

Take a selfie. Frame it. Wrap it.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger