March 5, 2023

Highchair Mysteries

I have been a semi-absent landlord of the old blog for a spell. So it goes. I am sick of politics and my life is boring. That does not leave much to write about. I could tell you I installed a new garage door opener last weekend. The previous one consisted of me opening the door for my wife and the mechanical one before that quit working back in about July of last year. I think I only cursed out-loud one time and in my head there were perhaps a half dozen mutterings.

Part of the big sales meeting last week was working as a group to compose a written sales strategy. I am not always right. I am not the best writer out there, but let me say some of my colleagues are wordy. Anyone who reads here regularly knows I am generally of the Hemingway school; short sentences. 

I declare I love short sentences with a long string of words. Appropriate. 

Since we are on the topic of words, the novel is right at 60,000 words. That equates to around 250 novel pages or 130 plus regular pages. After almost flowing from my brain, the story has hit the proverbial wall. I know where I want the characters to go, but the words will not come. I need to figure out Fuzzy’s secret, he is pumping out novels right and left.

I am considering scraping the whole thing and rewriting the tale as a coming of age story incorporating the short story I published here years ago about a teen who was bullied by his crush. I don’t know. Mostly I am going to leave things sit until the muse returns. Parts of the current story were written a decade ago, a few weeks will not matter. 

Enjoy your Sunday. 

3 comments:

glasslass said...

Some of us like short pithy sentences. The main person at Chant Du Pare is having a major writers block. But there are multiple writers there that can pick of the slack. He has retirement looming along with an elderly cat he worried about. So go forth and write a few short sentences for us and the muse will creep in one night when you least expect it. I was kinda hoping for more on the sniper. Really admired that one.

Anonymous said...

That one dates from around 1991 or 1992. I’ve not written on that forever

Joe

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

The characters inhabit my dreams and yell at me to write their stories.

It would be nice if they'd let me sleep, instead.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger